Skip to main content

New Orleans, Sodom, and the real issue

I just read a post by my good friend William - I was gonna comment on his blog, but my comment grew into a post of my own. How often does that actually happen. Congrats, William, on initiating my first blog post of substance in 10 months or so. Enjoy:

William correctly identifies that Ray Nagin and the government of New Orleans don't seem to behave any differently than they used to, despite Katrina. Now here comes Gustav, and maybe they'll get the message. To quote Chuck Pierce, 'God's going to keep washing New Orleans until it's clean'.

So I'm in agreement with that...but I'm going to bring a slight nuance to defining Sodom and Gomorrah's offense against the Lord - and hence, New Orleans' as well.

I feel like it's important to point out that homosexuality is not the scripturally defining sin about those cities.

Even though the current usage of the word 'sodomy', or 'sodomite', etc points to homosexuality as the distinctive in Sodom and Gomorrah - probably due to the Genesis 19 account of Lot and the men of Sodom - but when God looked at Sodom, the first thing on his mind wasn't just homosexuality.

Ezekiel 16:49-50 tells us that the most significant thing - Sodom's defining sin - was not taking care of the poor. The fast God has chosen from Isaiah is largely related to justice and the poor...so God is as concerned about racism ( hundreds of years of history in New Orleans on those issues ), graft and corruption ( again, fully integrated into the society of that city ), and the issues of justice for the poor as much, if not more, than he is about homosexuality.

Even Romans ch. 1 seems to indicate that homosexuality is the consequence of rejecting God, not the root of the issue.

Paul writes of homosexuality is a sign of reprobation, of God giving you over to your sin...and Paul goes on to list things that offend God that are part of a reprobate lifestyle. He seemingly does this from 'worst' to 'not worst' ending up on stuff like 'pride' and 'disobedient to parents'.

He who is without sin, right? Homosexuality, murder, etc...Everybody ready to pick up your rocks and aim them at the gulf coast?...oh wait. Whispering. Gossip. Pride. Disobedient to parents. I hope I hear you dropping your rocks. I'm working on dropping mine.

So of course I believe that homosexuality and the official government acceptance thereof is a big issue, and the timing of Hurricate Gustav is ominous and significant. Two level 5 hurricanes. On nearly the same dates. Within three years. Who can ignore that?

Updated on 9/3/2008: This was written prior to me reading that Gustav hadn't made it to Category 5. He only ended up being a 3. Still, the point stands...

When we talk about 'them' in New Orleans, we should be saying 'we'. One little ( or huge ) homosexual festival in Louisiana isn't the entire scope of the problem - our reprobate behavior is deeply engrained all over our nation, from the least to the greatest.

If we actually believe that God is singling out New Orleans for anything, I would venture to say that it's a sign to the rest of the cities of America. L.A., New York, Portland, Seattle, San Francisco all have large gay populations, laws supporting gay marriage, whole subcultures and industries that are built on it...and from what I hear, an even larger number of people who disobey their parents or don't consider the well-being of the poor around them.

WE should consider whether WE want to be dealt with in the same way God is dealing with New Orleans. God is no respecter of persons...what he does for one, he does for all. Don't kid yourself that this is just about New Orleans...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Shel?

I'm experimenting with facial hair. So far, my best identifiable target is famous poet ( and composer of 'A Boy Named Sue' ) Shel Silverstein . Strangely enough, Jenn likes it. And Amanda likes to feel it absently while I'm holding her. It seems to help her think. I've begun to hear 'As-Salamu Alaykum' on a regular basis from one of my work colleagues. Another thinks I must be Jewish. I'm getting the orthodox rabbi thing a lot at church... My business partner Greg refers to it as 'THE BEARD OF POWER'. Last but not least, a buddy of mine recommends I decorate it for the holidays, so that the family can gather around and sing 'O Christmas beard, O Christmas beard' while it twinkles away. I find it fascinating, the reaction it's provoking from the folks around me...I've never been called 'hirsute' before...google it. Well, beard does rhyme with weird...

the one they have pierced...

I'm a bit interested in Eschatology. For those of you who don't know what eschatology is, it's the study of eschat . Really, no, I'm just kidding. I don't even know what eschat is... But I heard some fairly convincing stuff from a preterist this last week. Preterists believe that the last days described in the Bible happened in the first century, and that it's all done. Well, I don't think that's right. So I've been thinking on that. Here's a bit of it: Preterists take the time words very seriously - the statements that are made in Matthew 24, Revelation 1-3, and elsewhere, where Jesus says that 'this generation' would see the kingdom, or that 'the time is near', or 'these things must soon come to pass'. I was challenged to take those seriously as well - I had not given them as much thought as other elements of those same passages...but I find the strict preterist interpretation simplistic, as I understand it. Ba

Pursuing Peace Through Prayer

Reflecting on the current state of the world, and particularly of the struggle that my friend Jerad's family is facing , it seems like a good time to write down some thoughts about the Bible and prayer. Jerad mentioned in a recent blog post that he was collecting scriptures for encouragement, and I thought not only about the scriptures I hold on to, but also to how I use them. It seemed to me that unpacking the process of internalizing and living within the truths of scripture might be worthwhile. Hopefully it's either interesting or encouraging to Jerad, and anyone else that ends up reading this. So my Big Question to ponder is how do we thrive despite the circumstances we each face, and how can we take a proactive stance in prayer to resist the sense of impending doom that surrounds us, at a moment when so many other things are outside our control.  Thinking on that, one of the key scriptures that comes to mind is what Paul wrote in Philippians 4:4-8. Philippians 4