Skip to main content

I am the sink.

24 hours ago, I was totally undone.

It was Monday night.  I'd been fighting my drippy sink off and on for about 30 hours, with the help of my good friend William.  Three trips to the hardware store, who knows how many little O-rings later, and I was no further than when I started.

Now, you have to understand, I've become sort of medium-handy around the house. 

  • I'm well acquainted with minor plumbing repair.
  • I can do basic electrical if I have to. 
  • I can deal with washer, dryer and dishwasher issues without help.
  • I repair kids bikes.  ( adult bikes are not in my repertoire, just ask Jenn... )

When I looked up faucet repair, all the trustworthy sources and tutorials said this was the easiest of home repair tasks.  Confident in my growing home improvement-fu, I decided to knock it out on Sunday afternoon.  30 hours later, I was reduced to a shell of a man.

 

My frustration wasn't all about home repair.  Really, it was about all the major side projects that I'm working on.  Jesus says I can do it.  I feel helpless and out of control.  So when I plan to quickly fix my sink, if it doesn't work out, I'm immediately in crisis, cause I'm now behind - or so I feel. 

Jesus says that I am to lean on Him in these projects.  He wants to be my friend...He asks me to let Him call the shots, and let Him bear the burden.  I've got work to do, but somehow, He wants to bear me up in this. 

Apparently, this season isn't about working hard.  It's not about discipline, it's about walking in your gifts, and in the favor of God.

I hear you amen-ing out there.  That's all very easy to talk about, but hard to walk.  I'm constantly finding myself back in fear and anxiety over this stuff.

Well, after my failure to progress in plumbing 101, I was in full anxiety.  Angry, depressed, mad at God, afraid of failure, curled up in a ball.  Completely non-functional, and totally not about the sink at all.

I asked Jenn to listen with me, to see if Jesus wanted to talk with us about anything.  We listen for a minute, and here's what she says to me:

'You know that african violet that just started blooming on the counter in our bathroom?  Jesus says that's me.  And He says that you're the sink.'

What?  I'm the SINK?  The drippy, unfixable, permanently broken and hopeless SINK? 

I told her that prophecy was supposed to be comforting and edifying, and she clearly wasn't hearing the Lord on this one.  So He said it again to her.

Now that's just mean - talk about kicking a guy while he's down. Tell me I'm the SINK! Now you can add MAD! to my list of swirling emotions.

So I process all this a little more, and make a satisfactory truce with my emotions and with Him over the fact that He's in control and I'm not...and Jenn agrees to call the plumber in the morning.

Well, after Tuesday AM prayer at Glory of Zion, William and Marcus ( my brother in law ) decide over breakfast that they're going to replace the sink.  Apparently Marcus keeps really nice white porcelain sinks in his backyard in case Holy Spirit gives him the unction to suddenly install them.  Which is what happened.

So by noon today, I had a brand new sink.  It fit the hole in the counter, and everything worked out really really fine, really really fast. 

Seems I need object lessons to reinforce what God is doing in me ( and the Body at large, I would bet )  I was totally undone over a hopeless situation, little though it was.  Ready to give up and call the plumber.  Did everything I knew how to do...and was totally ineffectual.

Then the Lord surrounded me with the two guys in my life that love me the most, fixed my problem ( well, almost - still a little more to deal with... ) and gave me a new sink, faucet, garbage disposal and arrangement of pipes. 

So I'm the sink.  In a matter of a few hours - overnight, even - He says I'm going to be different, better and new.  And it won't happen because I was able to work it out or make it happen.

I guess Jenn heard right.

Comments

Jenn Pete said…
great post - and great sink :)
Heidi said…
Wonderful. Be the sink.
Priscila said…
You make a nice sink though :)

So, what's the African violet mean for Jenn?
Will De Hart said…
Darren, back in Whittier at the local Rocky Cola, they had a great Kitchen Sink Omelet. The visual was a little disturbing, but the taste was great. No comparison here to your personal appearance, but, hey, you got a new sink! What an upgrade!

Popular posts from this blog

What the Shel?

I'm experimenting with facial hair. So far, my best identifiable target is famous poet ( and composer of 'A Boy Named Sue' ) Shel Silverstein . Strangely enough, Jenn likes it. And Amanda likes to feel it absently while I'm holding her. It seems to help her think. I've begun to hear 'As-Salamu Alaykum' on a regular basis from one of my work colleagues. Another thinks I must be Jewish. I'm getting the orthodox rabbi thing a lot at church... My business partner Greg refers to it as 'THE BEARD OF POWER'. Last but not least, a buddy of mine recommends I decorate it for the holidays, so that the family can gather around and sing 'O Christmas beard, O Christmas beard' while it twinkles away. I find it fascinating, the reaction it's provoking from the folks around me...I've never been called 'hirsute' before...google it. Well, beard does rhyme with weird...

the one they have pierced...

I'm a bit interested in Eschatology. For those of you who don't know what eschatology is, it's the study of eschat . Really, no, I'm just kidding. I don't even know what eschat is... But I heard some fairly convincing stuff from a preterist this last week. Preterists believe that the last days described in the Bible happened in the first century, and that it's all done. Well, I don't think that's right. So I've been thinking on that. Here's a bit of it: Preterists take the time words very seriously - the statements that are made in Matthew 24, Revelation 1-3, and elsewhere, where Jesus says that 'this generation' would see the kingdom, or that 'the time is near', or 'these things must soon come to pass'. I was challenged to take those seriously as well - I had not given them as much thought as other elements of those same passages...but I find the strict preterist interpretation simplistic, as I understand it. Ba

Pursuing Peace Through Prayer

Reflecting on the current state of the world, and particularly of the struggle that my friend Jerad's family is facing , it seems like a good time to write down some thoughts about the Bible and prayer. Jerad mentioned in a recent blog post that he was collecting scriptures for encouragement, and I thought not only about the scriptures I hold on to, but also to how I use them. It seemed to me that unpacking the process of internalizing and living within the truths of scripture might be worthwhile. Hopefully it's either interesting or encouraging to Jerad, and anyone else that ends up reading this. So my Big Question to ponder is how do we thrive despite the circumstances we each face, and how can we take a proactive stance in prayer to resist the sense of impending doom that surrounds us, at a moment when so many other things are outside our control.  Thinking on that, one of the key scriptures that comes to mind is what Paul wrote in Philippians 4:4-8. Philippians 4