Skip to main content

Intro to the Beatitudes

The setup:

So I’m walking today, clearing my head before the next big thing I had to do. I was praying, telling God I wanted to know Him, wanted to have the Holy Spirit teach me ( John 14:26 )

So I start thinking about the Beatitudes. I grew up having to memorize the Bible at school, so ‘Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven’ is pretty drilled into my head. Some of the others are harder to remember, but the first few are usually right there.

So I got a big lightning bolt about the Beatitudes...

Right. What's a beatitude?

The Beatitudes are found in Matthew 5:1-12, at the top of the sermon on the mount. ( Beatitude means ‘blessedness’, meaning that this list of things is about how to be blessed. )

There are some in the Church that have noticed these verses are important – hey form sort of a contract about how a Kingdom mindset works. The Beatitudes can be seen as the basis of God’s value system.

The Beatitudes are a good thing to have in my back pocket. Since He’ll be judging my life and rewarding me ( or not ) according to HIS rules, it’s helpful that He laid those rules out where I could find them.

That's the kind of teaching I always hear about the Beatitudes - Jesus is telling you how to act, so you can be blessed.

What I learned today

As I was walking, the Holy Spirit taught me something. Up til now, the Beatitudes have always been about me…I’m poor in spirit, so I need Jesus to save me, I’ll be comforted when I mourn, sometimes I hunger and thirst after righteousness ( well, not really ), stuff like that. Always with the personal application.

But I got lit up last night by the Holy Spirit dropping a whole different perspective straight into me. It might have taken a minute total. Here's the big thing.

The Beatitudes aren't all about me. They're all about Jesus.

Some of you are yawning...'Yes Darren, everything is about Jesus'. No really. The Beatitudes are ALL about Jesus.

I've always been taught they are a progression of maturity in the faith

  1. Recognize your poverty of spirit
  2. Then mourn
  3. God produces meekness
  4. You get hunger and thirst for righteousness
  5. etc.
All that is secondary.

First it's about Jesus, second it's about me.

Chew on that...film at 11.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Shel?

I'm experimenting with facial hair. So far, my best identifiable target is famous poet ( and composer of 'A Boy Named Sue' ) Shel Silverstein . Strangely enough, Jenn likes it. And Amanda likes to feel it absently while I'm holding her. It seems to help her think. I've begun to hear 'As-Salamu Alaykum' on a regular basis from one of my work colleagues. Another thinks I must be Jewish. I'm getting the orthodox rabbi thing a lot at church... My business partner Greg refers to it as 'THE BEARD OF POWER'. Last but not least, a buddy of mine recommends I decorate it for the holidays, so that the family can gather around and sing 'O Christmas beard, O Christmas beard' while it twinkles away. I find it fascinating, the reaction it's provoking from the folks around me...I've never been called 'hirsute' before...google it. Well, beard does rhyme with weird...

the one they have pierced...

I'm a bit interested in Eschatology. For those of you who don't know what eschatology is, it's the study of eschat . Really, no, I'm just kidding. I don't even know what eschat is... But I heard some fairly convincing stuff from a preterist this last week. Preterists believe that the last days described in the Bible happened in the first century, and that it's all done. Well, I don't think that's right. So I've been thinking on that. Here's a bit of it: Preterists take the time words very seriously - the statements that are made in Matthew 24, Revelation 1-3, and elsewhere, where Jesus says that 'this generation' would see the kingdom, or that 'the time is near', or 'these things must soon come to pass'. I was challenged to take those seriously as well - I had not given them as much thought as other elements of those same passages...but I find the strict preterist interpretation simplistic, as I understand it. Ba

Pursuing Peace Through Prayer

Reflecting on the current state of the world, and particularly of the struggle that my friend Jerad's family is facing , it seems like a good time to write down some thoughts about the Bible and prayer. Jerad mentioned in a recent blog post that he was collecting scriptures for encouragement, and I thought not only about the scriptures I hold on to, but also to how I use them. It seemed to me that unpacking the process of internalizing and living within the truths of scripture might be worthwhile. Hopefully it's either interesting or encouraging to Jerad, and anyone else that ends up reading this. So my Big Question to ponder is how do we thrive despite the circumstances we each face, and how can we take a proactive stance in prayer to resist the sense of impending doom that surrounds us, at a moment when so many other things are outside our control.  Thinking on that, one of the key scriptures that comes to mind is what Paul wrote in Philippians 4:4-8. Philippians 4