Skip to main content

Boil the Milk, Make-a the sauce...

Jennifer, Davin and I watched Julie and Julia the other day, just before Christmas. For those of you who don’t know, it’s a sweet movie about a woman who decides to spend a year cooking her way through Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

The film is about her self-discovery as she blogged her experiences cooking all these recipes, interleaved with biographical sections of how Julia Child wrote the cookbook during the 10 or so years she lived in France. It’s a neat movie, especially if you’re into food. Which I am.

I made the comment to Jennifer that I’d never really experienced Julia Child firsthand, either on television or via her books, so I didn’t know much about her. I knew she was a big deal TV chef, probably the first one ever, and that she had a big, high voice, but that was about it.

Well, Jenn went and bought me the cookbook for Christmas. Here’s my first status report:

I cooked a ham on Christmas day, on Christmas day, on Christmas day…and lo, there were leftovers. Apparently, I tip my head to the side when glazing ham. This was the best of the 4 pictures Jennifer took, and all of them had me in the same gnarled position. I’ll have to work on my technique. (I'm actually on the phone...)

So we wanted to do scalloped potatoes, since that’s a favorite leftover ham dish in our family. Sometimes I think we should skip the massive joint of meat and go straight to the leftovers….that’s another whole blog post, but you can read more in The Supper of the Lamb by Robert Farrar Capon.

He describes leftovers as ‘ferial’, or ordinary cooking, and proceeds to build an ethos around enjoying the everyday pleasures of God’s world all the time, as a matter of worship. I received it for Christmas last year, and I recommend it enthusiastically. But I digress…

Scalloped potatoes require white sauce. White sauce is basically fat and flour mixed in about a 2/3 ratio over heat until it bubbles.

This is called a roux ( pronounced ‘roo’…it’s french, naturally ) and is the basis for a number of saucy things, from country gravy to gumbo. You add liquid to the roux, and it becomes one thing or another, and then you eat it. Yum.

I’ve made white sauce before, and have had wise women from both sides of my family and Jennifer’s talk about roux, gravy, and all things lumpy. It has been my process to add liquid to the roux in small amounts to avoid causing lumps, which doesn’t always work.

Here’s where Julia Child comes in. In her chapter on sauces, she gives a recipe for white sauce, grandly titled Bechamel sauce, but it’s just roux and milk.

Julia says ( imagine finger pointed in the air, pronounced ‘JOOOO-leea says’ ) to boil the liquid while you’re prepping the roux, and then add it all at once, once the roux is ready. I hadn’t heard that one before, so I was interested to see how it worked.

Jenn was looking on as I grabbed the pan of milk, said ‘here goes nothing’ and dumped it all in. I expected lumps galore, cause when you add that much liquid to a roux, that’s what you get…but it came out perfect.

It’s hard to describe my child-like glee – HOLY MOLY! IT WORKED! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I was grinning like an idiot over a suspension of flour, butter and milk. I was practically dancing around the kitchen. ( I know. I KNOW…It’s just gravy, man. Get a grip already… )

Anyway, it came out great, and now I can see why people push up their glasses, wave their index fingers in the air, and say ‘Julia says…’

There’s probably a lesson in that last sentence about the relationship between experience, trust, and faith…I’ll let you ponder or sermonize at your leisure…

Comments

Jenn Pete said…
Sauce, sauce and more sauce... I love it when Darren makes sauces. "Nice sauces" - Madam Blueberry style.
Heidi said…
Yum. And I'm glad to know this new trick for white sauce. I always do it a little at a time too. We're going to have to eat some of these things!
marcus_amy said…
I had grand plans to have scalloped potatoes with my left over ham except ...sad pause... ham was too small for my family and there was not enough left overs. Oh well. Better luck next time. I loved the movie and find it funny that You and Davin are having a Julia moment:)
I did make a white sauce though for Potato corn chowder and although I didn't boil the liquid I dump it all in at once. hmmm.
Amy

Popular posts from this blog

What the Shel?

I'm experimenting with facial hair. So far, my best identifiable target is famous poet ( and composer of 'A Boy Named Sue' ) Shel Silverstein . Strangely enough, Jenn likes it. And Amanda likes to feel it absently while I'm holding her. It seems to help her think. I've begun to hear 'As-Salamu Alaykum' on a regular basis from one of my work colleagues. Another thinks I must be Jewish. I'm getting the orthodox rabbi thing a lot at church... My business partner Greg refers to it as 'THE BEARD OF POWER'. Last but not least, a buddy of mine recommends I decorate it for the holidays, so that the family can gather around and sing 'O Christmas beard, O Christmas beard' while it twinkles away. I find it fascinating, the reaction it's provoking from the folks around me...I've never been called 'hirsute' before...google it. Well, beard does rhyme with weird...

the one they have pierced...

I'm a bit interested in Eschatology. For those of you who don't know what eschatology is, it's the study of eschat . Really, no, I'm just kidding. I don't even know what eschat is... But I heard some fairly convincing stuff from a preterist this last week. Preterists believe that the last days described in the Bible happened in the first century, and that it's all done. Well, I don't think that's right. So I've been thinking on that. Here's a bit of it: Preterists take the time words very seriously - the statements that are made in Matthew 24, Revelation 1-3, and elsewhere, where Jesus says that 'this generation' would see the kingdom, or that 'the time is near', or 'these things must soon come to pass'. I was challenged to take those seriously as well - I had not given them as much thought as other elements of those same passages...but I find the strict preterist interpretation simplistic, as I understand it. Ba

Pursuing Peace Through Prayer

Reflecting on the current state of the world, and particularly of the struggle that my friend Jerad's family is facing , it seems like a good time to write down some thoughts about the Bible and prayer. Jerad mentioned in a recent blog post that he was collecting scriptures for encouragement, and I thought not only about the scriptures I hold on to, but also to how I use them. It seemed to me that unpacking the process of internalizing and living within the truths of scripture might be worthwhile. Hopefully it's either interesting or encouraging to Jerad, and anyone else that ends up reading this. So my Big Question to ponder is how do we thrive despite the circumstances we each face, and how can we take a proactive stance in prayer to resist the sense of impending doom that surrounds us, at a moment when so many other things are outside our control.  Thinking on that, one of the key scriptures that comes to mind is what Paul wrote in Philippians 4:4-8. Philippians 4