Skip to main content

saxophono!

So I went shopping today to find a saxophone for Katy.

Now, cheap saxes run about 600 - 6 bills is a lot of dough for the Dad, on any day.

But I walk into ye olde pawn shoppe here in town, and play 5 or 6 horns, looking for something that will work good - and I find something interesting.

First thing that spots my eye is the case - it's way niftier than the usual brown case that student model horns come it - it's a real case, with natty cloth in an interesting pattern - looks something like this:

The cloth on the case is a dead giveaway that we're looking at something that's a few years old.

So I crack it open and to my suprise I find a brand of saxophone I've never seen before -

The first thing I notice is that the scrollwork ( carving ) and decorations are very ornate - old school, as it were.

It appears that this horn was made in Italy, and it has a low serial number - in the 8000s, rather than 20000s. That's a good bet that it's pretty old indeed.


So I write down some information, and then I play the thing. It plays like an old horn - the keywork isn't exactly the smoothest - the word you're looking for is ergonomic - and the pads are leaky, so it doesn't play about half the notes the way its' supposed to.

However, I have the sneaking suspicion that theres something here - old horns sound better, made from better materials, blah blah blah.

the guy at the shop says - Oh? you're interested in the Italian job? I'll give it to you for $200.

Hmm.

I go home. I research. I look up brands and serial numbers. I decide this might be a really good horn.

And if it's not a really good horn, it's a 3rd of the cost of the average, boring horns I played today. So really good horn, or really good deal, either way, I'm in.

So here is the new Petersen alto saxomaphone, direct from Italy circa 1967.




It needs work - but it's way more special than anything the other 6th graders will be playing, I garontee.



What you can't read there is 'Ida-Maria Grassi - Milano - Italy - fabrico strumenti musicali italiano'

It even has that vintage horn smell that my wife likes to complain about when I've been playing my King Super 20 Baritone - which is about the same age as this thing.

I'll see how busy the repair shop is this week, and we'll see-a how she cleans-a up. I betcha she cleans-a up good!

Darren

Comments

Jenn Pete said…
We do love us some instruments... guess we need a bigger music closet.
Dame Katy said…
So excited! Do I get my own music closet?.....
Unknown said…
Gramma Lite is SO excited for Katy. What a wonderful new saxophone. Your dad is GREAT.
Priscila said…
What a great find! Darren, she is beautiful! AND Italian! Looks like you guys will need a music room, not a closet!

Popular posts from this blog

What the Shel?

I'm experimenting with facial hair. So far, my best identifiable target is famous poet ( and composer of 'A Boy Named Sue' ) Shel Silverstein . Strangely enough, Jenn likes it. And Amanda likes to feel it absently while I'm holding her. It seems to help her think. I've begun to hear 'As-Salamu Alaykum' on a regular basis from one of my work colleagues. Another thinks I must be Jewish. I'm getting the orthodox rabbi thing a lot at church... My business partner Greg refers to it as 'THE BEARD OF POWER'. Last but not least, a buddy of mine recommends I decorate it for the holidays, so that the family can gather around and sing 'O Christmas beard, O Christmas beard' while it twinkles away. I find it fascinating, the reaction it's provoking from the folks around me...I've never been called 'hirsute' before...google it. Well, beard does rhyme with weird...

the one they have pierced...

I'm a bit interested in Eschatology. For those of you who don't know what eschatology is, it's the study of eschat . Really, no, I'm just kidding. I don't even know what eschat is... But I heard some fairly convincing stuff from a preterist this last week. Preterists believe that the last days described in the Bible happened in the first century, and that it's all done. Well, I don't think that's right. So I've been thinking on that. Here's a bit of it: Preterists take the time words very seriously - the statements that are made in Matthew 24, Revelation 1-3, and elsewhere, where Jesus says that 'this generation' would see the kingdom, or that 'the time is near', or 'these things must soon come to pass'. I was challenged to take those seriously as well - I had not given them as much thought as other elements of those same passages...but I find the strict preterist interpretation simplistic, as I understand it. Ba

Pursuing Peace Through Prayer

Reflecting on the current state of the world, and particularly of the struggle that my friend Jerad's family is facing , it seems like a good time to write down some thoughts about the Bible and prayer. Jerad mentioned in a recent blog post that he was collecting scriptures for encouragement, and I thought not only about the scriptures I hold on to, but also to how I use them. It seemed to me that unpacking the process of internalizing and living within the truths of scripture might be worthwhile. Hopefully it's either interesting or encouraging to Jerad, and anyone else that ends up reading this. So my Big Question to ponder is how do we thrive despite the circumstances we each face, and how can we take a proactive stance in prayer to resist the sense of impending doom that surrounds us, at a moment when so many other things are outside our control.  Thinking on that, one of the key scriptures that comes to mind is what Paul wrote in Philippians 4:4-8. Philippians 4