Skip to main content

Major Scales and Practice Goals

Hi all - Here's a recap of my first music class for Practicing Musicians.
We talked about our individual backgrounds in music, and set some goals for ourselves. 

Listening and Practice goals for week one

One big one was that we discussed picking a particular musician and learning their music by ear. For example, I'm learning a jazz solo by John Coltrane on tenor saxophone right now, listening to the recording and playing along with it.
Some folks mentioned they knew the style or even the tune they wanted to learn, but they didn't know who the player was. No problem! That's what the internet is for! You can definitely start listening and playing along to your favorite tune, and then go research who played it and what else they did. 
It's great to study a particular player (or singer!), and get a sense of their approach and individual style from several different recordings and examples of their playing. If you can copy them note for note and sound just like them, you'll learn a lot.  
My goal for each of us is to be listening, playing along in private, and then bring that recording into class and perform along with it.  
Homework: Spend 25 minutes per day practicing with your chosen recording, and see how far you get. 

Theory homework for week one

We also talked about the major scale, and how it's constructed. There's a pattern or structure that makes the major scale sound the way it does. 
Using whole steps and half steps to construct the scale, this is the pattern:

whole-whole-half-whole-whole-whole-half

Check out this cheesy video for a further explanation:



Based on that major scale pattern, take some time and work out 3 or 4 major scales in the keys that you play in most often - E, G, D, A, whatever other keys you use.  Having a keyboard to see the whole and half steps is really helpful.

Homework: Write the notes of each scale down, and then play them slowly while you say the note names. See if you can memorize the notes of each scale.
If you feel like it, work out all 12 keys... We'll talk more about the major scale in my next post...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Shel?

I'm experimenting with facial hair. So far, my best identifiable target is famous poet ( and composer of 'A Boy Named Sue' ) Shel Silverstein . Strangely enough, Jenn likes it. And Amanda likes to feel it absently while I'm holding her. It seems to help her think. I've begun to hear 'As-Salamu Alaykum' on a regular basis from one of my work colleagues. Another thinks I must be Jewish. I'm getting the orthodox rabbi thing a lot at church... My business partner Greg refers to it as 'THE BEARD OF POWER'. Last but not least, a buddy of mine recommends I decorate it for the holidays, so that the family can gather around and sing 'O Christmas beard, O Christmas beard' while it twinkles away. I find it fascinating, the reaction it's provoking from the folks around me...I've never been called 'hirsute' before...google it. Well, beard does rhyme with weird...

Pursuing Peace Through Prayer

Reflecting on the current state of the world, and particularly of the struggle that my friend Jerad's family is facing , it seems like a good time to write down some thoughts about the Bible and prayer. Jerad mentioned in a recent blog post that he was collecting scriptures for encouragement, and I thought not only about the scriptures I hold on to, but also to how I use them. It seemed to me that unpacking the process of internalizing and living within the truths of scripture might be worthwhile. Hopefully it's either interesting or encouraging to Jerad, and anyone else that ends up reading this. So my Big Question to ponder is how do we thrive despite the circumstances we each face, and how can we take a proactive stance in prayer to resist the sense of impending doom that surrounds us, at a moment when so many other things are outside our control.  Thinking on that, one of the key scriptures that comes to mind is what Paul wrote in Philippians 4:4-8. Philippians 4

the one they have pierced...

I'm a bit interested in Eschatology. For those of you who don't know what eschatology is, it's the study of eschat . Really, no, I'm just kidding. I don't even know what eschat is... But I heard some fairly convincing stuff from a preterist this last week. Preterists believe that the last days described in the Bible happened in the first century, and that it's all done. Well, I don't think that's right. So I've been thinking on that. Here's a bit of it: Preterists take the time words very seriously - the statements that are made in Matthew 24, Revelation 1-3, and elsewhere, where Jesus says that 'this generation' would see the kingdom, or that 'the time is near', or 'these things must soon come to pass'. I was challenged to take those seriously as well - I had not given them as much thought as other elements of those same passages...but I find the strict preterist interpretation simplistic, as I understand it. Ba